If you’re experiencing a slow Magento admin interface try either or both of the following.
Using Magento 1.5ish you may find the following line
Comment it out. You should see a tremendous improvement.
Secondly, you may change the indexing update mode.
- Log in to admin area.
- Go to the “Index Management” page through “System => Index Management”.
- Select indexes you want to change. If you’re unsure, select all.
- “Change Index Mode” from the “actions” drop down.
- Selecting this will show another dropdown “Index Mode”.
- Select “Manual Update” from “Index Mode” dropdown.
- Click “Submit” button
You will see message like “Total of X index(es) have changed index mode.” This should make adding and modifying products significantly faster. You may no longer have a performance problem.